SBD

/
4 Comments
Silent but deadly. Usually refers to farts, but today I would like to apply it to West side of Oahu. Me and Scott have traveled about every road on the island, and you will remember I had a post this summer from when we made it the end of the road (literally), where the road ends on the North shore. Well we finally made it full circle! That's right; two weeks ago we made it to the end of the road, on the West shore. The two ends are only a few miles apart, but you have to around the entire island to go from one end to the other because it is a rough dirt road. Shockingly, we decided not to try and drive our 1997 Honda over this area, so it took a while to get there. 
The day we went it was crappy all over the island. Not just where we live, on the windward side, where clouds and wind and rain are not uncommon in winter, but EVERYWHERE. Sandys and Waikiki, which are always sunny, were disasterous. We stayed in the house until I couldn't stand it any longer. Scott has noticed that if I go without sun for too long I get very sad and tired (check Seattle off our list). So we packed up and decided to drive until we found sun. And here it was! 
Another reason we had never gone this end is that the first 3/4 of that side is very misleading. It's dry and sandy like Tucson, and then you pass all of these very.... what's another word for white trash? towns. And everything smells di.sgus.ting. Like sulfur. So you travel this way for about 30 minutes, and then BAM. Everything is green, and sunny, and the beaches have sand and grass dunes. So the pictures below are beautiful, and only indicative of an about 2 mile area on the end of the island. 

Look at those colors!

Can you guess what I was thinking here? A sandy, grassy, romantic beach perfect for a picnic. North Carolina, Nicholas Sparks love story here I come! 








 This is electric beach. We went here a year ago and I was too scared to snorkel (who knew I inherited my mom's claustrophobia- hearing yourself breathe is scary!). So Scott went out with my brother and my cousin, and Scott spotted a shark! So he popped up and yelled "Shark!" then swam as fast as he could in. Of course my cousin and brother didn't see the shark so they swam in very leisurely.  No fatalities though. 
We returned this time and I forced myself to snorkel all the way out to the pipes. This electric beach on the shore has pipes underwater a few hundred yards out that pump out warm water. The water causes more plants and algae to grow, in turn attracting more fish, and thus dolphins and sharks. I was so scared to go out that Scott had to hold my hand the whole time. Luckily for me there weren't any sharks out that day, even though we brought our waterproof camera so Scott could take pictures (while I would simultaneously pee my pants and doggy paddle to shore). 


I am the luckiest. Sweet boy held hands with me and swam slowly for me. We faced my fears head on!




When we saw this weird thing blowing up bubbles I felt like the Little Mermaid. 




PS. I didn't even touch up the color on my hair- I am the little mermaid! 

Thumbs up for facing my fears, with the help of my best friend! 



You may also like

4 comments:

  1. Such fun posts, Kelsey! Looks like you are both having such an amazing adventure! Enjoy the rest of your "honeymoon"!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Laur! We are having a ton of fun. I keep telling Scott that I don't want to leave. But I have been saying that since day 1 so that's not new :).

      Delete
  2. You live the dream life!!! I am so jealous! I love the underwater pictures because it really captures the beauty of the mermaid hair!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh my gosh that beach looks like paradise! And I love the underwater pics! You are quite the mermaid!

    ReplyDelete

Powered by Blogger.