Nakoa Loop, and Competitions

/
4 Comments

Competitions
Since the last post Scottie has been in two big competitions at the school. 

The first was the Marketing week Competition. The Marketing program at the school put on a week of marketing activities and competitions. Friday night was the Marketing Plan competition. For this Scott and two friends; Jesse and Aubrey (plus about 7 other teams) worked from 6-12 am one night in a timed competition. Several weeks before they were told that they could start the basic research for a marketing plan for Target, focusing on a demographic that would be given that night. Scott did lots of research that week and had some great ideas going in. That night they had to write a 10 page paper on their plan, complete with graphics and research.
I was disappointed (to say the least) when at the 11th hour (and I mean literally at 11:45pm of a competition that was supposed to end at 12:00am) they announced that they were going to extend the timeline of the competition. One more week without an iPad?! But, everyone turned their plans in at midnight, and on Monday the Marketing competition cut half of the teams, giving the rest of the teams until Wednesday at 5:00pm to turn in the final drafts. 
Scott's team made it past the first round (obviously). And then on Friday afternoon I was sitting at my computer answering phone calls when I got a text from Scottie with the following picture.....


They won! And 1st place= an iPad Mini. So say hello to the newest member of our Mac lovin' family. Scott says that it is mine. I say it is ours. But I do snag it most of the time, and lovingly refer it to as, "my Pinterest tablet". 
( PS I didn't respond very quickly to the text of this picture so Scott sent another text asking "Did you get the picture?" and then another "Are you alive?" :) We were pretty excited) 

The Business Plan Competition. The second competition, was the Business Plan Competition. About a month ago the competition opened for the school, and students were able to submit business plans they had. The first cut was made after the plans were sent to judges and graded. There were three areas of competition; Domestic, International, and Social Entrepreneurship. Scott submitted his plan for the Domestic Worker Project into the Social Entrepreneurship area. Woot, Scott passed!
The second round was two weeks ago when the top 8 plans in each competition were given 7 minutes to present to judges. The top three from each competition passed. Yay Scottie passed!
The final round had the top three from each area present to a different panel of judges. Third place for each area got $1,500. Second place got $3,500. And first place got $5,000. Scott got second place! I say he should have gotten first, but we are pleased with the results nonetheless.

My personal favorite part was when Scott got to accept the giant check! (Sorry for the poor quality pic, of course I forgot the camera and had to take this with the Pinterest tablet camera) PS Did you know that they don't actually let you keep those checks? And you can't take them into the banks or ATMs? I know, disappointing. 

And I had to take a picture of my hair the day of the final competition. I spent 45 minutes curling it, and then had to keep the curls pinned into little buns on my head like a 50's lady until we reached the parking lot, and then pulled the bobby pins out like crazy. And after only an hour this is how it looked. :( Anyone have advice? 


Nakoa Loop
I had to put in some pictures of the hike we did two weekends ago. It was a cloudy day with little waves and a good chance of rain. So we headed to a 3 mile hike about minutes from our house called Nakoa Loop. Me and Scott agree that it is our favorite hike on the island so far. 


It was very green and beautiful, and FLAT. Which we especially love because there aren't many flat hikes on the island, most are going up and down ravines and hillsides. 




The clouds rolling in made for very beautiful views in the Kahana valley that the Loop goes through. 

Check out these amazing trees that grow with the roots above the ground! 

I had to make this picture large because it is probably my favorite one I took. Sometimes I just want to be a nature photographer. 



Just some bunkers along the way. Old news by now ;) since they are on most hikes on the island. 








Near the end we caught up with a group that was hiking with a few months old baby and Scott helped them cross the river. 


The end!/The beginning! 

I know this is a long post but there is just one more picture. 
Happy belated Easter from the Stiles! 

Expect an update on us graduating/moving to Utah/Scott's Career Connect trip to Hong Kong, in just a few short weeks!!!


You may also like

4 comments:

  1. wow! Congrats on all the winnings! I would LOVE to win an iPad mini! or any ipad, or anything apple related haha
    Great post!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Emily! I wish I could write as interesting blogs as you do, but maybe I'll just have to stick to viewing your stuff on my iPad mini. Haha

      Delete
  2. Your pictures are amazing! I want to go there!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Gina! You know, we are still here for another whole two weeks if you wanted to book a flight out here. And then we will be in Utah and I need to see you!

      Delete

Powered by Blogger.