No 'Poo ain't no thang

/
0 Comments
I believe I mentioned in a previous post that I have been trying out the No 'Poo method. This, does not actually have anything to do with my bowel movements. And now you have all sorts of gross ideas in your head, sicko.
In fact No 'Poo has pretty much nothing to do with Poo. Unless you are my cousin Taylor, who always said that "hair is just crap growing out of your head". Because 'Poo= shampoo.

I will post a few informative links and such on here, but basically the gist is that you shouldn't use most (if not all) mainstream shampoos. Did you know that shampoo was only invented for people with hard water? People use to just wash their hair in water, but then people with hard water started having hair problems so they invented shampoo. Amazing right?
Anywho, I have heard from multiple hair stylists that most shampoos are pretty much the same as laundry detergent. Ick. They are super strong and remove everything from your hair; oil, dirt, sweat, but also natural oils, proteins, and vitamins that your hair needs. Most shampoos also coat your hair in a layer of silicone, especially the ones that promise 'shine' (wax and plastic being the shine). So you need to train your hair to be washed with more natural and less harsh products, that allow the natural, helpful, oils and nutrients to remain in your hair.

What you do:
There are several methods for going No 'Poo. Some people replace shampoo with baking soda, and replace conditioner with Apple Cider Vinegar (lovingly known as ACV). Others CO wash, which is basically just washing your hair with conditioner twice instead of shampoo and conditioner. A few make their own homemade shampoo ( this Coconut Milk Shampoo recipe is by a friend's mom, and the Pinterest community highly recommends it). The most hardcore No 'Pooers just wash their hair in water.
I think they are taking it too far. There are reasons people today are better looking than two hundred years ago, people.

Detox: One of the major things to note before you go and try this is there is definitely a detox period for your hair. A lot of people start, get three days in, and decide that this No 'Poo business is in fact Poo, because their hair is so greasy. But be ready to give it up to two weeks, and get some cute headbands, or fall in love with the top knot look. Because you will be more greasy than a Beto's breakfast burrito.
The best way to think of it is that your hair has been producing excess oil for years, and it needs some time for your body to catch up and realize that it no longer needs to. If you are not using shampoo than the natural oils are left in your hair, and it doesn't have to produce so much to protect itself like it is used to doing after all nutrients are removed by shampoo. (I promise I read about this, and I'm not just pulling your leg) Some girls are lucky and get this phase over with in just a few days, I think the average is about two weeks. But it all depends on what products you have been using, and your hair personality.
Just remember: this too shall pass.

My experience: I started this when I was on a home remedy makeover kick. I started off with the baking soda and ACV combo. But when I went to bed that night Scott told me my hair smelled like vinegar, and he missed my yummy smelling conditioner. I have been told repeatedly that if you can smell the vinegar after that you used too much, but that part of it was kind of spoiled for me by then. Now I use baking soda instead of Shampoo, and keep my normal conditioner. The 'recipies' for how much Baking soda differ, but generally I use about 2 Tablespoons ( I got lotsa hair) in my palm, and drip water on until it makes a paste that feels slippery but not watery. Then I focus the paste mostly on my roots, and rinse. I like keeping the conditioner, which is generally much better for your hair then shampoo. I love how soft it makes my hair, and how it smells and detangles. But to each his own.
For the first two weeks I was a total grease ball and felt hideous. However, after the detox my hair looked and felt the same as before I quit shampoo. This method is much cheaper for me, and I know that my hair is at least as healthy as it was before. I like the feel of it, and I am not a hair expert but I believe all of the science about this topic, and recommend going No 'Poo.

Before
This was almost a year ago, shortly after a haircut. I didn't have many pictures where you can see my hair well. (PS Lauren was such a pretty bride!)
 
After
 

This was about 3 weeks ago at graduation, it's not the highest quality picture. But this is me after about 6 weeks of No-Poo, and I haven't had a haircut in one year (definitely not on purpose).
 


Links: Here are a few articles on going No 'Poo.
Kicking the Poo to the Curb
Shampoo Free- Why and How this one explains some of the basic chemistry behind Shampoo vs. Baking soda and ACV
A No 'Poo Support Group, and Q&A I thought this was both funny and helpful!
No 'Poo FAQ
NPR No Poo Article


You may also like

No comments:

Powered by Blogger.